Friday, April 4, 2014

A peek at my zentangle® pattern notebook

I use a standard notebook with baseball trading card sleeves. I started out using white cardstock (an 8 1/2 x 11 sheet makes 3 of my instruction cards with some waste) however I've changed to using a heavier weight, nicer drawing paper. Hey, these are going to be around for a while plus I've put much effort into them, why not use better paper? I'm now using Strathmore Smooth Bristol, 11" x 17", 100 lb.

This is the most efficient way I've found to cut the paper. The end result is 6 of my instruction cards plus two bonus ATC's (artist trading cards) and a small amount of waste. Each instruction card is 7.5" x 3.5".

After cutting the instruction cards, score each at 2.5", flip and score at 2.5" from the other edge. Fold accordion style. Next is an optional step, round the corners. I use the zutter round it all 1/4". It's great as it will cut through the 3 layers easily. I also round the corners of the ATC's.

Now you are ready to draw on your instruction cards. This is an excellent way for me to learn patterns. I save the front for the final example and name of the pattern. I go back to that after drawing the actual step outs. You can decide the number of steps needed and also decide if they should be square, horizontal rectangles or vertical rectangles, etc. I prefer to draw the box outlines by hand without a ruler. Hey, I meant it to be like that right? After drawing the steps I'm ready for the front final example.

When I began my notebook, my intention was to flip the cards over, and do another pattern from the back side. I've chosen not to do this because I like the freedom of sorting the patterns differently plus I can easily move them around to add a new pattern. It's also possible to use the back side for additional instructions, possibly variations or shading examples. In addition to my completed instruction cards, I keep a pencil case in my notebook that has blank cards, a red and black Sakura micron pen, pencil and paper stump. I have a pocket on the inside cover that contains printed patterns waiting for me to draw. I keep a couple more empty baseball trading card sleeves reminding me to to draw more instruction cards. The sleeves are also great to have some ATCs ready to trade.

The Zentangle® Method is an easy-to-learn, relaxing, and fun way to create beautiful images by drawing structured patterns. It was created by Rick Roberts and Maria Thomas. "Zentangle" is a registered trademark of Zentangle, Inc. Learn more at zentangle.com.


 

4 comments:

  1. Your line drawings are very nice. Thank you for the tutorial and your help on Amazon feedback. I've saved your blog in my favorites, so I can browse though it & see what other great things you have made.
    Karen

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, again!! What an awesome way to have your collection of Zentangle patterns! Too cool!!! :0) Share Humanity

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've read many ways to store your patterns, this way has won me over.

    ReplyDelete